July 12, 2017 by Student 24/7 Blog
Life as a student is certainly not easy, and exam season is, for some, a terrifying episode in the semester. You might have a module that gives you countless sleepless nights and random moments of panic during the course of the semester. After all, are you really a student if you don’t have a module or two that gives you some difficulties? I think not! However, it is important to remember that Rome was not built in a day and that your fullest potential will only be realised through working smart and remaining hopeful.
There’s a method to the madness, and here are some useful tips on how to excel in any course, and especially during exam season:
- Having slight challenges with a module is a normal part of being a student; so make a turn at your lecturer’s office or ask a friend you know will be more than happy to help you.
- Create a study schedule and make sure you stick to it.
- Studying in groups is always fun and incredibly helpful as you can feed off of each other.
- Before a test or exam, take a deep breath and remain calm. You know you’ve put in the SMART work so why panic?
- Get enough sleep the day before a paper and do an activity that you know always calms your nerves!
- If you experience anxiety or stress due to exams (or throughout the semester), make a turn at Student Counselling and Development in Building 13, Split Level 3; as they have an amazing team of professional psychologists and counsellors willing to help you through your worries.
“Every extraordinary thing in your life exists on the opposite end of your fear” This is a quote by Will Smith that never ceases to uplift me, in my own moments of despair. It is important to remember that all you have to do is believe in yourself and you’re already halfway there. Fear does nothing but cripples you. Stand firm in your faith, believe in your capabilities and remember, a man who thinks he knows everything; knows nothing, so don’t be afraid to ask for help.